Monday, December 12, 2005

My scrapbooking start


I started scrapbooking approximately 2 years ago. I can't remember exactly how I started, but I remember what prompted me to start. What makes it so important to me.


So this is my story...


I've never met her before, but she has still managed to make an impact on my life. She died at the age of 36, my current age. So much life left for her to be taken so quickly. So beautiful, with I am sure, so much to give to her children. Unfortunately she couldn't be there for her children, my mother. My mother was just 12 years old, and left to help raise her four siblings. She has just a few of these beautiful photographs of her mother, and it seems even fewer memories. Just the thought of that brings tears to my eyes. It forces me to think of the possibily that I might not be around for my children. How do I want them to remember me, or who will be around to share all of my precious memories of them? The little things, like the funny stories they tell me, or the accomplishments that they have over the years. Thank God, my mom is still here to share them with me, because she wasn't one to document, but at least she can remember some. She has some really funny stories of when my sister and I were children and the trouble we seemed to get into to.

Another part to this was years ago when I had to face the possibility of my own demise. I was in Desert Storm, and with the possibility of chemical warfare and the fatalities that were expected I had to face a gruesome possibility that I just might not make it. Before that I had never REALLY thought about dying. When you really do think about dying, you realize how important it is to get your things in order. This is part of me getting my things in order for my family.

I am grateful for these two things and the introduction of scrapbooking into my life. They have given me the opportunity to put my life into perspective.

Another quick story about my girlfriend, the same one with the nephew. Her sister has recently passed within the last year. We spoke recently about her sister and how her sister felt in the end. She died from cancer, and in the end she spent her time making amends for her regrets in life. She felt that her life was spent chasing her career, and becoming successful in life, which she was. She failed to use her time on things that really mattered, friends and family. Luckily she did have some time in the end to straighten out some of those things that really mattered to her, but a few months is not nearly enough time. Imagine how you would feel if you didn't have that time, what would you have left out of your life?

Makes you think doesn't it? After all of that how could you not want to start documenting/sharing your life?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...beautiful post! I will e-mail later tonight you with part of my story as to how I got started with scrapbooking (I"m actually at work right now). But I just had a drop a quick note to tell you how much I love your blog! I'll have to save it in my favorites so that I can come back and visit again and again!

Rhonda said...

Maria, thanks for your kind words, and thanks for responding to my question to the group. It is always nice to hear everyone's story. As of this week I am off for about the next 3 months, but that doesn't necessarily mean leisure time for me. I have sooooo much to get accomplished, especially before I take my trip to Florida next Monday. After that though I will have time to actually relax and get things done like catch up on my journal. Thanks again.