Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Finally I get to be a school chaperone

Jason called me today on my way home from work. He just wanted to tell me about his fitting at school for his band instrument. He was so excited he couldn't wait for me to get home. I love to hear that kind of excitement in their voices. It makes me smile.

Then after I got home the boys told me about a field trip that they have to Greenfield Village. Usually because of my work schedule I am not able to chaperone. When they told me though, they mentioned that if they couldn't get six chaperones that they would not be able to go. I said, "well I guess I'll just have to chaperone then."

"What? Don't you have to work?" They are so use to me working, but luckily this time it is during another two weeks layoff for me so I will be home for the next two weeks. I am hoping though that they will both be able to be with me because even though they are twins and in the same grade, they have different classes. The entire 5th grade is going, but hopefully they can both go with me.

When they first started going to school together I had them both placed in the same classes. The following year I was kind of irritated when I found out that they separated them even though I had requested that they stay together through their elementary years. I didn't bother to say anything because I though maybe it was something that was better considering the teachers could not tell them apart. Also when they were in classes together they didn't really associate with each other. The teachers did not place the apart, but they choose to sit at different tables. I figured maybe they needed their own identity, so I let it go. Now this is one of those times when I wished that I still had them together.

Anyways I am excited about it. This is the bad thing about being a single working mom, it is so rare for me to be able to do school activities with them.

No comments: