Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Have you seen OTIS?

Yesterday I went to the theater and saw the movie "Vantage Point." There was a point in the movie where the President got onto an elevator and after the doors closed the Secret Service man standing at the door spoke into his mic/headset that "Otis is on the move."

My kids didn't get it, but I did, and I had to giggle to myself because it reminded me of something that we use to do years ago. When I was in the Army I was a surgical technician. In the operating room there are surgical instruments called elevators. When a soldier goes through surgical technician training in the military, a good portion of their training is OJT (on job training). You can imagine that this is a perfect opportunity to play tricks on the new guy or gal. Most of us that come through are very young, such as myself, I was only 18 years old when I started as a surgical tech, fresh out of highschool. It was usually the older staff that seemed to have the most fun with it, such as the doctors themselves. Whenever we had new tech come into the department someone would always ask them to run down to Central Material to get an OTIS elevator. Of course they would do as they were told, and when they got to CMS they would find out that the joke was on them. They had actually taken the OTIS elevator to get to the first floor. Little did they know that OTIS elevator is just a brand name for the world's largest manufacturer of vertical transportation, i.e. elevators and escalators.

I can understand where someone could fall for something such as the OTIS elevator, even so we still found it hilarious when we did get the opportunity to trick someone. Sometimes though they got a bit ridiculous about it and while doing a GYN procedure they would send them out for some "sterile fallopian tubes." Okay sterile fallopian tubes, I don't think so.

No comments: