Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Family Tradition-Hank Williams Jr.

Family Tradition" by Hank Williams Jr. I heard this song today at work and whenever I hear it it always brings back memories for me; two in particular.

When I was seventeen years old I had a boyfriend, Willy Riggs. He use to always say to me "Well hello there sunshine" in his deep southern accent. I remember one time we were all down at the quarry hanging out and this song came on, Willy loved to sing along with this song. This particular night was the first time I had heard it and ever since it reminds me of him. Unfortunately about 1 1/2 years later Willy died. Him and another friend had been out late drinking AND driving; he was the passenger. For some reason the driver decided that he was going to try to beat a train, unsuccessfully. Willy died, the driver lived. Right after graduation I had left for the Army, and he died shortly after I finished AIT. I found out about it a week later, and I never had a chance to go to his funeral. It has been some time since I have thought of this. He is missed.

On the up side, my other memory of this song was before I left for the Army I had a stationary bike that I rode ten miles every night. I would put my headset (back then a cassette player) on my head and just go into another world and ride. One of the songs that I always played was Family Tradition. The funny part about this is that I cannot sing at all, and my dog would sit on my bed and watch me ride. Of course she could not hear the music only my off tune voice, so she would start howling like crazy along with me as I sang the song. She was the best dog. She is missed too.

No comments: