Saturday, August 20, 2005

Cruisin' down Woodward





Today was a pretty busy day for me and the boys. Shortly before noon we jumped into the car and took off. We started with lunch at Famous Daves. Have you ever heard of it? They serve bar-b-que ribs, chicken, etc. This was the first time I have taken the boys there. My daughter decided to stay home (she didn't like the idea of looking at cars all day). Jason loved the ribs, he couldn't stop talking about them; they were riblicious. Joey had the chicken fingers, and I had cajun chicken sandwich with remoulaude on the side. They have different types of bar-b-que sauce on the table for you to try. I tried every single one of them on my sandwich. Lunch was great, and it was a good way to start our day.

Next...we moved on to our shopping spree. The kids needed their shoes for school. I got pretty lucky, I managed to get three pairs of sneakers for just around $100.

From there....we went across the street to the mall and picked up about six new tops for my daughter.

Finally...we were on our way to the Woodward Dream Cruise 2005. This was how we originally planned to spend our day. The rest just kind of happened. The Cruise is probably an hour away from our house, but it was worth the drive. As I exited the expressway at Woodward, I could see what we were in for. Woodward was jam packed, not just with the normal traffic but the vehicles for the Cruise. All the muscle cars, Fairlanes, Challengers, Chargers, Shelby Mustangs, Model T's, etc. You name it, everything was pretty much there.

What happens is that cars are lined up along both sides of the road. Onlookers set up tents and their lawnchairs and settle in for the day. We never actually got a chance to park, but the cool thing is that whether you are in your car driving down the road, or walking the streets you still get to see everything. All sorts of cars are cruising down Woodward, be it old or new. This is a three of four lane highway in both directions. This street is so packed that traffic crawls at a speed of about five miles per hour (pedestrians were moving faster than us). It pretty much feels like you one of the floats in the Thanksgiving Day parade.

As I said in my earlier post that I would hear the word "sweet" out of my boys' mouths. This is exactly what I heard to describe every cool car that they saw. We took some pictures, but since we never actually got out of the car (because before we got to a spot to part it started pouring) we only have the few that the boys took while inside my car creeping down the road.

It was a good day even though we left the cruise a bit earlier than expected because of the rain. We didn't end it with that though, we were on our way home when we ran across a Barnes & Noble bookstore. Of course we had to stop and at least look, if not buy anything (we did end up buying a couple of books though). One thing that the kids and I enjoy doing is going to the book store. I know that kind of sounds nerdy, but they all like it. Of course I don't mind, they would rather I head into a bookstore than a clothing store. They will grab my hand and pull at me to keep me from going into one of those. This is weird to me because I will spend a lot more time in the bookstore than I do in a clothing store. I guess it is because they don't find anything interesting about women's clothing, but at least in a book store they can find something to entertain them.

Anyways, that was our excitement for the day. Tomorrow is grocery shopping day (YIPPY).

No comments: