Sunday, October 29, 2006

A small view into different cultures

Have I mentioned that I have a really cool Anthropology class? It is Anthropology: Urban Life & Culture. We get to experience different cultures and lifestyles in and around the Detroit area. Nearly all of our classes take place outside of the classroom, and instead are done as field work. My professor has been teaching this class since 1970, and let me tell you he is quite the character. I can really appreciate this class because I get to experience the practices of many different cultures that I probably never may have experienced otherwise. Such as today, I am going to view/experience a ceremony/feast at a Hindu Temple. I think I'll find this very interesting, although they are vegetarians and I am not, so I am not sure how the feast will go for me. Also within the next three days I have the opportunity to chose one of those days to attend The Days of the Dead Folks in MexicanTown East & West. This should be interesting also, it is the mexican form of our Memorial Day, although I think that there is much more to their holiday than to ours. Typically ours consist of a parade, cemetary visits, and usually some sort of picnic or bar-b-que. They take an interesting view of this holiday.

No comments: