Saturday, January 14, 2006

Attempting to escape from my life of semi-seclusion

Today I have a house full of kids, actually my boys stayed the night over their house last night, and they all decided to come over here this morning. My three, my niece, my nephew (but he is 18 so he doesn't really count) and three of the neighbor kids. This isn't exactly as bad as it sounds. They are pretty good kids, and they keep my boys busy. I was attempting to get some things accomplished around here, but I think I'll wait just a bit.

Last night I met their mother. She seems to be pretty nice, she came over to check on her kids. I have said that I have pretty much isolated myself from neighbors since I moved here a few years ago, but the truth is that I miss having a local friendship with another woman. My girlfriends all live a ways away from me, so it is sometimes difficult for us to get together.

I am horrible with names, so I have already forgotten hers, but I know she has good kids. I don't mind them being around. For a while now the girls have been coming around to visit my boys. I always thought they were cute little girls. I just found out yesterday that they are also twins. Well not the girls, but the boy and one of the girls. Being fraternal it is hard to tell, it is much easier with mine since they are identical. It's kind of cool though, twins playing with twins.

The mother and I are in similar situations. Both of us are single parents raising a handful of children, she has four, and I of course have my three. Well actually she is separated from her husband, whereas I left mine eight or nine years ago. We talked for about two hours last night about our lives.

I'm interested to see if I let this develops into a friendship or not. I know I have tried to keep myself from being overhelmed by friends in my homelife. I find it hard to get things accomplished when I spend too much time hanging out with friends in the neighborhood, but I miss the days of backyard bar-b-ques and just hanging out with good friends.

No comments: