Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Jarhead


I had the day off for Election Day, so I decided to make my nephew go to lunch and the movies with me. We decided to watch the movie Jarhead. I am still not exactly sure what I think about this movie yet. It isn't your typical war movie, it is based on the experience of a single soldier. It shows how his experiences changed him. It brought back a lot of memories, and some things I found disturbing, but many things seemed so accurate. I guess that is part of why I haven't decided yet, because I think that I expected more, more of Hollywood. The movie wasn't about the special effects, it was about how war changes you.

Here is one story that I can share with you that I was reminded of in the movie. It has to do with trying to make a phone call home and our chemical suits.

When I first arrived I was at Kobar Towers, Saudi Arabia, this was an inprocessing center. It was an apartment complex taken over by the military. They had set up phone stations in parking garages. I'm not sure how many phones were in each structure, but there were a lot. When we wanted to make a phone call this is where we would go. Of course this took forever to do, this particular time the waiting time was approximately 4 hours. After standing in line for about 3 hours a voice came over the loud speaker in our compound "SCUD launch, MOPP 4." This of course meant that a SCUD missle had been launched and that we were to take cover and get into our chemical gear. Now remember at this time we still thought that Sadam was using chemical warfare. If you can, imagine people scattering everywhere. In the movie I was reminded of this when Jamie Fox went into the tent and said "GAS" and everyone hurried to get on their chemical gear. This is kind of how it went for us too. Some soldiers ran to take cover then put on gear. While others put on their gear right out in the open. Let me tell you those suits were hot, and sometimes it seemed like we had to keep them on forever. Eventually they called "all clear MOPP zero" and this was when it got funny. See MOPP zero means that we can take the suits off, but of course those of us that were smart, took that as an opportunity to get back in the phone line. I was one of the smart ones, although I was not smart enough because I ended up pretty much in the same position that I was before, but at least I wasn't further back. I just wish I had a video camera to record what happened after calling all clear. In the movie they show them in their chemical suits with boots on, this is not what we had to wear. We had these huge rubber covers that folded up and tied around your boots so they were very difficult to walk in. We had our chemical masks on still, just like in the movie which made it more difficult to see, but hey I only needed to look straight to see the phone line. Every time I remember this I have to laugh to myself, it was like revenge of the swamp monsters. All you could see were these things that resembled creatures running to the garage. I know it is one of those you had to be there to see it to find the humor in it things. One of my highlights of the war I guess.

Since Veteran's Day is this week I guess it is a good time to tell these little stories. Maybe tomorrow I'll think of another one to tell.

3 comments:

Topwomen said...

r.marie, you certainly are having one heck of a life! Get ready for that book someday.

what did you do in the military? How old were you when you joined and how long were you there?

OK, here's my list of hurrahs for you!
1) survived trauma in teens
2) raising 3 kids on your own
3) served in military protecting people like me and my children!
4) takes nephew to movies

You're making me feel very inadequate and that maybe I complain a bit too much about my life.

Rhonda said...

Lets see....

First I enlisted in the military at the end of my eleventh grade, but left for basic training on June 11, 1987. I graduated from highschool on June 7, 1987. I was what they called delayed entry. I enlisted but didn't leave right away, you can be delayed entry for 365 days, I was for about 350 something days. I did 4 years active duty, but I married my ex-husband my last year in so I did another 3 years after that as a dependent wife.

What did I do in the military? I was a surgical technician working in the operatingroom at the base hospital. I think this was a great opportunity for me, being only 18 years old and assisting with surgeries. Getting to explore the human anatomy in that way, I saw some very interesting things. Although I felt so isolated from everyone in that field. I mean I am a social person, and I love to be around people, conscious ones. When I was in Desert Storm I did the same thing, except in an Evac Hospital (think of MASH). Approximately my last 6 months in the military were in Desert Storm. We DID actually live in the tents for about 5 months while over there (20 women each tent). Showers were a luxury, and the bathrooms looked just like the ones in the movie Jarhead. And yes if you watch the movie Jarhead, one thing they teach you is not to get into your sleeping bag before checking for scorpions. OUCH, luckily I never came across one.

As far as you feeling inadequate, there are things about you that I admire. Yes I have had many experiences, some good and some bad, but I have learned something from all of them.

Topwomen said...

wow, thanks for all the info.

so very interesting!!!