Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A New You

One of my flaws is my inability to throw things away. A perfect example of this is my growing collection of magazines that I have collected over the years. My logic is that there are things in each one that appeals to me that I might look over again some time in the future. Of course what would make more sense would be to clip the article and organize it in some way and toss the actual magazine. Of course that makes way too much sense for me to actually do it. I have to do some things the hard way. Well today I actually took one of these magazines and browsed through it. It was a February 2005 issue of Fit Body. In it they had a list of 25 "New You" Resolutions. Some of these I follow, others I should probably pick up as new habits.

1. Eat breakfast: I can't say I follow this one very well. I have never really been one to have a healthy breakfast in the morning, but I know that it is a habit that I need to learn.

2. Take a multi-vitamin: Huh, do I get credit for having multi-vitamins, but just not actually taking them? I didn't think so.

3. Stop waiting until the last minute: I am guilty of procrastination.

4. Indulge yourself: Diets should never deny. WELL I am guilty of overindulging.

5. Take a real vacation: This is a funny thing, while I was in Florida my nephew asked me if I had ever been on a "real vacation." I thought about it and realized that I never have. Visiting family isn't really taking a vacation. I've thought about doing this in my past but I have never actually done it. Part of me is hoping that one day I'll find someone to actually travel with.

6. Count those sheep: On average I get at least 7 or 8 hours of sleep a night.

7. Make some time for you alone every day: I usually head to my bedroom to read a bit before actually hitting the sack. This is a nice relaxing time for me.

8. Become an early bird: I have trouble with this one. I am the type to get up thirty minutes before I leave for work and jump in the shower and pretty much head out the door. That doesn't leave much time for one to actually relax before starting out the day. I often wish that this was a habit I would pick up.

9. Do a crossword puzzle, play Trivial Pursuit, or get an evening dose of TV's Jeopardy: Preventing Dementia....this isn't too much of a problem for me.

10. Leave work at work: For this one they say to get out of work clothes and get into something comfortable and leave work at home. I'm pretty good with this one. I can't wait to take my jeans off and get comfortable when I get home.

11. Take some time to really breathe: I think I do this one sometimes without even really realizing it. Sometimes I'll give out a deep sigh, and when I do this I can just feel a heaviness being lifted off of me.

12. Do something you use to do: As Maria asked me in my last post, maybe I should get back to doing some scrapbooking.

13. Start a journal: Does keeping this blog count?

14. Pamper yourself: Something else I need to work on.

15. Volunteer: I have a strong desire to volunteer, but it seems at times impossible for me to commit to something when my life can get so overwhelming at times.

16. Dance to the music: It says to do this at least 5 minutes a day.

17. Make your annual check ups: Ahhh finally one that I have already accomplished.

18. Find your mantra: I'll have to search for something special for me.

19. Feed on fat: Well I have no problem feeding on fat, but unfortunately it is the wrong type. I don't get enough mono or poly-unsaturated fat in my diet. Although I do love me some black olives.

20. Make your own food pyramid: This is what is said to do-using the U.S. food pyramid, fill in the blocks iwth a list of the foods you love and like. Post this on your refrigerator and pantry doors. Next time you go for a snack or a meal, choose from the foods at the base of your pyramid and you'll be on your way to a healthier, slimmer you.

21. Try something new: I like this idea. It doesn't have to be anything complex, it can be as simple as a new recipe.

22. Have more sex: Well I'll leave this one alone.

23. Laugh yourself silly: One thing I can say for sure about me, I never have to remind myself to laugh, this is something that I do often.

24. Love yourself: Sometimes I beat myself up, but on most days I appreciate who I am.

25. Exercise: Whoa, this one is a major problem for me. Especially since I haven't been working so much lately, and since I have a job that keeps me moving constantly I have felt the damage being done with so much time off of work. Also I have never really had good knees and lately my right knee has been giving me some trouble, so I have been putting off doing anything that might make it worse.

This year I didn't really make a resolution. Okay I made one to loss weight, but that is a given. Who doesn't say that every year? My year started out kind of bad, but I feel that this year is actually going to turn out to be pretty darn good. At least I hope that it will.

No comments: